Who We Are:
We’re a close, motivated team on a big mission to change trajectories for future leaders in the finance sector. We partner with universities and financial institutions to provide educational and mentorship opportunities that inspire leadership, integrity, and an ethos of capital stewardship among students aspiring to be leaders in finance.
Scholars of Finance is a national team, with members in Minneapolis, Chicago, San Francisco, and New York City. Since starting less than a year ago, we’ve raised over $100K and brought together 400+ students with 80+ executives for values-based leadership development. We are fortunate to be backed by excellent partners and advisors, like US Bank, our founding partner, or the Chairman of Piper Jaffray, one of our Advisory Board members.
Benefits and Perks:
Develop Future Leaders. Scholars of Finance started with one leadership symposium and now we’re on a mission to change the future of the finance sector. As our CEO you’ll build the foundation of the organization so we can achieve that mission in decades to come.
Partner with our Boards. This executive will be a liason and steward of our Board of Directors and have direct exposure to our Advisory Board and partners. You will receive mentorship and coaching opportunities from top finance executives at top firms.
Build a Startup. Scholars of Finance has early traction, like our founding partnership with US Bank or our annual event that attracts 200+ top finance leaders every year. You will lead and manage a group of 20-40 high-performing students who will help you build on our success.
Work Where you Want. We are a fully remote team. You can work from anywhere in the world as you build Scholars of Finance. Also, we have unlimited vacation so you can take time for sickness, family, and personal development as needed.
Premium Health Care. We believe that developing leaders starts with our own leaders being happy and healthy. This is why we offer generous health insurance, dental and vision care. We also offer a monthly personal development stipend so you can invest in your own leadership.
About The Role:
Scholars of Finance is effective at building great leaders because we learn from, and partner with, great leaders. As the CEO you will report to, and work closely with, the Board of Directors, comprised of finance & technology professionals in New York, Chicago, Minneapolis, and Silicon Valley. You will also work with the Advisory Board, comprised of top executives from top companies like Piper Jaffray and Baird.
What You’ll Do:
- Launch chapters in New York, Chicago and San Francisco with local executives, financial institutions, and top-tier universities
- Lead development of cutting-edge new programs and launch them nationally to deliver more value to more students across the country
- Expand our membership base from ~30 to ~1,000 by developing membership, onboarding, and engagement strategies that delight and impact our members
- Innovate & initiate partnerships with universities to complement their curriculum with SOF’s programs and develop recruiting partnerships with key corporate partners, beginning with U.S. Bank.
- Partner with the Board of Directors in recruiting more members of the Board of Advisors from Chairman/C-Level seats at investment & corporate banks, asset management firms, and educational institutions
What You’ll Need:
- 3-7 year of work experience
- BA/BS or equivalent with a strong academic record; degrees with emphasis on business, finance, operations, marketing, nonprofit management, or project management.
- Strong critical thinking skills; you can identify opportunities, anticipate challenges and gaps, and contingency plan accordingly.
- You can effectively recommend strategies, tactics, timelines and resources needed to achieve organizational goals.
- You can work independently and take ownership for outcomes while .prioritizing and juggling multiple projects in a deadline-driven environment.
- You can build effective systems to track scaling progress, and regularly evaluate program components, so as to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents.
Leadership and Management
- Experience leading, coaching, developing, and retaining a high-performance team, staying informed of their progress, and driving program objectives.
- You must have the ability to develop strong relationships, escalate when necessary, and get results.
- Adept at accomplishing things through other people; you can run multiple work streams that extend far beyond your immediate team.
- You possess sophisticated communication and interpersonal skills and build strong followership among your teammates.
- Comfort with ensuring ongoing local programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems; you have managed a budget responsibly.
Mentality for Success
- You have a passion for our mission, an interest in finance as a force for good, and commitment to developing ethical & morally sound leaders.
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation.
- A desire and willingness to contribute beyond your job description. You’re ready to do whatever it takes to push the mission forward.
- Humility to be both a leader and a “do-er”. After building a strategy, you’ll roll up your sleeves and do whatever it takes to get it done.
- Courage to challenge the status quo when logic and reason require it. Is something broken? Fix it.
- Advanced degree, ideally an MBA or equivalent.
- Researching, developing, and launching new products & programs.
- Working within, leading, and growing small & nimble teams.
- Building & rolling out systems internally across project management, financial management & accounting, and customer relationship & donor management.
- Driving marketing through key partnerships, email campaigns, driving traffic to a website, community word-of-mouth, etc.
- Planning & managing half-day events with 250+ attendees, including working with vendors.
- Fundraising (or sales) with track record of building fruitful long-term relationships.
- Working with teams in multiple cities & multiple time zones.
Above and Beyond
- Track record of effectively leading and regionally and/or nationally scaling a performance- and outcomes-based organization and staff.
- Ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth.