WHO WE ARE:
We’re a close, motivated team on a big mission to change trajectories for future leaders in the finance sector. We have a vision of a world where all finance leaders steward the world’s capital for the greater good. And our mission is to inspire character and integrity in the finance leaders of tomorrow.
Scholars of Finance is a national team, with 450+ members across 17 universities in New York, San Francisco, Boston, Chicago, Minneapolis, and several other markets. Since starting less than a year ago, we’ve raised more than $1M+ in seed funding and commitments and brought together 1200+ students with 400+ executives for values-based leadership development. We’re proud to be supported by partners including Goldman Sachs, U.S. Bank, and Piper Sandler, and advisors including Richard Davis, prior CEO of U.S. Bank, Teri List, Board Director of Microsoft, and Tony Paquette, CFO of Point72.
- Design Your Internship. What are you passionate about? What do you enjoy doing? What are your strengths, and what do you want to grow/gain experience in? You’ll answer these questions, cross-reference your answers against a long list of strategic needs for SOF, and partner with our CEO, COO, and National Management Team to design your internship.
- Grow as a Leader. Spend several hours per month through mentorship and coaching investing in your own leadership development and career planning. Our CEO and COO have been mentored by many banking executives over the last 10+ years and they pay that forward. They have mentored high-potential young professionals for many years and will work with you to achieve your personal and professional development goals.
- Make an Impact. Internships with SOF are massive opportunities to work on strategic projects that will meaningfully influence the future of our organization. By working on national initiatives at SOF, you’ll help us reverse the negative reputation finance has by transforming its culture from the bottom up.
AS A MANAGEMENT INTERN, YOU WILL:
- Contribute to critical business initiatives helping grow our organization and improve program quality
- Review current processes and implement improvements to drive a more successful business
- Manage communications among the National Team and individual members of chapters within Scholars of Finance
- Support and/or lead project teams with highly motivated students from a variety of universities across the US. Areas that you can focus on include:
- Fundraising – Grow our network of donors and apply to grants from corporate foundations
- Corporate Partnerships – Secure recruiting partnerships and branding sponsorships with top financial institutions; find new partners and maintain relationships with existing contacts
- Member Success– Implement key program developments, tech enhancements, and organizational initiatives; manage onboarding for co-founder candidates at new chapters
- Programs – Directly support program VPs across SOF’s national footprint by finding and pairing finance professionals who can speak or mentor with local chapters
- Strategy and Finance – Manage the organization’s finances, update our financial model on a regular basis, and streamline an efficient way for all chapters to track their revenues and expenses
- Research – Design and perform research and refine a roadmap of enhancements designed to improve the experience of our members and executives and implement these strategic changes
- Technology and Engineering – Develop by working with SOF members and software engineers to improve the member experience
- Marketing – Create visually appealing marketing and web material, manage social media, craft and plan key communications, and work with members to publish blog posts
- Work directly with the National Team to align on weekly objectives and deliverables
- Ensure the vision, mission, and values of Scholars of Finance are highlighted throughout all that we do as an organization
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- Strong critical thinking skills—you can identify opportunities, anticipate challenges and gaps, and contingency plan accordingly
- You can effectively recommend strategies, tactics, timelines, and resources needed to achieve organizational goals
- You can work independently and take ownership of outcomes while prioritizing and juggling multiple projects in a deadline-driven environment
- You are an active member of Scholars of Finance
Mentality for Success
- Strong passion for SOF’s vision, mission, and values to use finance as a force for good, and a commitment to developing ethical & morally sound leaders
- Commitment to serve a personal mission greater than yourself
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation
- A desire and willingness to contribute beyond your job description—you’re ready to do whatever it takes to push the mission forward.
- Humility to be both a leader and a “do-er”—after building a strategy, you’ll roll up your sleeves and do whatever it takes to get it done.
- Courage to challenge the status quo when logic and reason require it. Is something broken? Fix it.
- 1-2 previous internships or 1-2 years of general work experience
- Researching, developing, and launching new products & programs
- Working within, leading, and growing small & nimble teams
- Building & rolling out systems internally across project management, financial management & accounting, and customer relationship management
- Driving marketing through key partnerships, email campaigns, driving traffic to a website, community word-of-mouth, etc
- Working with teams in numerous cities spanning across the globe
BENEFITS AND PERKS:
- Gain Unparalleled Experience. Scholars of Finance started with one leadership symposium and now we’re on a mission to change the future of the finance sector. Our interns partner with our CEO and COO to design their projects and focus. Then, they are coached rigorously to prepare them for future success.
- Build a Movement. Scholars of Finance has early traction, like our founding partnership with U.S. Bank or our virtual and live events that attract hundreds of students and finance leaders every year. You will help recruit and build a national organization from the ground up.
- Work On What Matters. Scholars of Finance wants you to do what you are passionate about. We offer interns a chance to choose your key projects and build your internship. If you have a big idea, we want you to run with it, and we’ll help you bring it to life.
- Gain Academic Credit. If you would like to apply for this internship toward academic credit, Scholars of Finance will fully support you in obtaining credit from your university.
- Program Length. The internship program will begin early June and run through mid-August (exact dates are TBD). Extensions and return offers are granted for top-performing interns.
- Participation. It is required to participate for 40 hours per week (M-F between 8am and 4pm PST). We need your availability during these peak business hours so that it’s possible to sync with team members.
- Pay. This is an unpaid internship. We offer an educational stipend of $200/month ($600 total), but this funding is not considered pay and is not tied to merit or performance. Aside from monetary compensation, you’ll also have world-class personal development and growth opportunities as outlined above, executive exposure with our Board of Directors and Advisors, and the ability to design elements of your own internship experience.
- Location. Our entire team works remotely, so whether you’re at home, on campus, or in Europe for the month, you can work wherever you want.
If you’re interested in contributing to our mission and taking your career to the next level, apply now.