Who We Are:
We’re a close, motivated team on a big mission to change trajectories for future leaders in the finance sector. We partner with universities and financial institutions to provide educational and mentorship opportunities that inspire leadership, integrity, and an ethos of capital stewardship among students aspiring to be leaders in finance.
Scholars of Finance is a national team, with members in Minneapolis, Chicago, San Francisco, and New York City. Since starting less than a year ago, we’ve raised over $200K and brought together 400+ students with 80+ executives for values-based leadership development. We are fortunate to be backed by excellent partners and advisors, like US Bank, our founding partner, or the Chairman of Piper Jaffray, one of our Advisory Board members.
Benefits and Perks:
Gain Unparalleled Experience. Scholars of Finance started with one leadership symposium and now we’re on a mission to change the future of the finance sector. Our interns partner with our CEO to design their projects and focus. Then, they work directly with our CEO and are coached rigorously to prepare them for future succes.
Build a Startup. Scholars of Finance has early traction, like our founding partnership with US Bank or our annual event that attracts 200+ top finance leaders every year. You will help recruit a build a national organization from the ground up.
Work Where You Want. We are a fully remote team. You can work from anywhere in the world as you build Scholars of Finance. Also, we have unlimited vacation so you can take time for sickness, family, and personal development as needed.
What You’ll Do:
- Design Your Internship. What are you passionate about? What do you enjoy doing? What are your strengths or what do you want to grow/gain experience in? You’ll answer these questions, cross-reference your answers against a long list of strategic needs for SoF, and partner with our CEO to design your internship together.
- Grow as a Leader. Spend several hours per month investing in your own leadership development. Our CEO has mentored high-potential young professionals for many years and will work with you to achieve your personal and professional development goals.
- Make an Impact. Internships with SoF are massive opportunities to work on strategic projects that will meaningfully influence the future of our organization.
What You’ll Need:
- 1-2 previous internships or 1-2 years of general work experience
- Strong critical thinking skills; you can identify opportunities, anticipate challenges and gaps, and contingency plan accordingly.
- You can effectively recommend strategies, tactics, timelines, and resources needed to achieve organizational goals.
- You can work independently and take ownership of outcomes while prioritizing and juggling multiple projects in a deadline-driven environment.
- In an undergraduate program at university where a Scholars of Finance chapter is launched or is being launched within coming 12 months.
Mentality for Success
- You have a passion for our mission, an interest in finance as a force for good, and commitment to developing ethical & morally sound leaders.
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation.
- A desire and willingness to contribute beyond your job description. You’re ready to do whatever it takes to push the mission forward.
- Humility to be both a leader and a “do-er”. After building a strategy, you’ll roll up your sleeves and do whatever it takes to get it done.
- Courage to challenge the status quo when logic and reason require it. Is something broken? Fix it.
- Researching, developing, and launching new products & programs.
- Working within, leading, and growing small & nimble teams.
- Building & rolling out systems internally across project management, financial management & accounting, and customer relationship & donor management.
- Driving marketing through key partnerships, email campaigns, driving traffic to a website, community word-of-mouth, etc.
- Planning & managing half-day events with 250+ attendees, including working with vendors.
- Fundraising (or sales) with track-record of building fruitful long-term relationships.
- Working with teams in multiple cities & multiple time zones.