WHO WE ARE:
We’re a close, motivated team on a big mission to change trajectories for future leaders in the finance sector. We partner with universities and financial institutions to provide educational and mentorship opportunities that inspire leadership, integrity, and an ethos of capital stewardship among students aspiring to be leaders in finance.
Scholars of Finance is a national team, with members in New York, San Francisco, New Jersey, Chicago and Minneapolis. Since starting less than a year ago, we’ve raised more than $500K in seed funding and commitments and brought together 800+ students with 150+ executives for values-based leadership development. We are fortunate to be backed by excellent partners and advisors, like US Bank, our founding partner, or the President of Piper Sandler, one of our Advisory Board members.
- Design Your Internship. What are you passionate about? What do you enjoy doing? What are your strengths or what do you want to grow/gain experience in? You’ll answer these questions, cross-reference your answers against a long list of strategic needs for SoF, and partner with our CEO & COO to design your internship together. You can select projects across research, strategy, finance, operations, marketing, and/or several other functions.
- Grow as a Leader. Spend several hours per month investing in your own leadership development and career planning. Our CEO and COO have been mentored by many banking executives over the last 10 years and they pay that forward. They have mentored high-potential young professionals for many years and will work with you to achieve your personal and professional development goals in areas such as:
- Make an Impact. Internships with SoF are massive opportunities to work on strategic projects that will meaningfully influence the future of our organization. You can help reverse the negative reputation finance has by transforming its culture from the bottom up.
BENEFITS AND PERKS:
- Gain Unparalleled Experience. Scholars of Finance started with one leadership symposium and now we’re on a mission to change the future of the finance sector. Our interns partner with our CEO and COO to design their projects and focus. Then, they work directly with our CEO and COO and are coached rigorously to prepare them for future success.
- Build a Movement. Scholars of Finance has early traction, like our founding partnership with US Bank or our virtual and live events that attract hundreds of students and finance leaders every year. You will help recruit and build a national organization from the ground up.
- Work On What Matters. Scholars of Finance wants you to do what you are passionate about. We offer interns a chance to choose your own projects and build your internship. If you have a big idea, we want you to run with it, and we’ll help you bring it to life.
- Gain Academic Credit. If you would like to apply this internship toward academic credit, Scholars of Finance will fully support you in obtaining credit from your university.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 1-2 previous internships or 1-2 years of general work experience.
- Strong critical thinking skills; you can identify opportunities, anticipate challenges and gaps, and contingency plan accordingly.
- You can effectively recommend strategies, tactics, timelines, and resources needed to achieve organizational goals.
- You can work independently and take ownership of outcomes while prioritizing and juggling multiple projects in a deadline-driven environment.
- In an undergraduate program at university where a Scholars of Finance chapter is launched or is being launched within the coming 12 months.
Mentality for Success
- You have a passion for our mission, an interest in finance as a force for good, and commitment to developing ethical & morally sound leaders.
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation.
- A desire and willingness to contribute beyond your job description. You’re ready to do whatever it takes to push the mission forward.
- Humility to be both a leader and a “do-er”. After building a strategy, you’ll roll up your sleeves and do whatever it takes to get it done.
- Courage to challenge the status quo when logic and reason require it. Is something broken? Fix it.
- Researching, developing, and launching new products & programs.
- Working within, leading, and growing small & nimble teams.
- Building & rolling out systems internally across project management, financial management & accounting, and customer relationship & donor management.
- Driving marketing through key partnerships, email campaigns, driving traffic to a website, community word-of-mouth, etc.
- Working with teams in multiple cities & multiple time zones.
- Program Length. The 12 week internship program begins on June 1, 2020 and runs through August 21, 2020.
- Participation. Though performance is based on outcomes, it is generally required to participate for 20-40 hours per week. Interns are expected to attend a weekly all-team meeting and a weekly one-on-one meeting with the CEO or COO.
- Pay. Unpaid with world-class personal development and growth opportunities, executive exposure with our Board of Directors and Advisors, and the ability to design your own internship experience. We will even help you incorporate your experience into your resume and offer career coaching throughout the summer.
- Location. You will work remotely from your home or campus. Work when you want and how you want.