Who We Are
We’re a close, motivated team on a big mission to change trajectories for future leaders in the finance sector. We have a vision of a world where all finance leaders steward the world’s capital for the greater good. And our mission is to inspire character and integrity in the finance leaders of tomorrow.
Scholars of Finance is a national team, with 540+ members across 17 universities in New York, San Francisco, Boston, Chicago, Minneapolis, and several other markets. Since hiring our first full-time staff in 2019, we’ve raised more than $1M+ in seed funding and commitments and brought together 1200+ students with 400+ executives for values-based leadership development. We’re proud to be supported by partners including Goldman Sachs, U.S. Bank, and Piper Sandler, and advisors including Richard Davis, prior CEO of U.S. Bank, Teri List, Board Director of Microsoft, and Tony Paquette, CFO of Point72.
- Expert Mentorship. Morgan Stanley–a partner of SOF–has committed to providing one-on-one mentorship to our Technology Interns for 3-5 hours per week. Mentors are all 10-15 year veteran Technologists on staff at Morgan Stanley.
- Get Practical Experience. This internship is designed to give you experience building real web applications using bleeding-edge low/no-code systems such as AirTable, Softr.io, Zapier, and others. You’ll build something you’re proud of, and the skills you’ve gained will be highly valuable. You’ll also gain valuable experience talking to users and making our product better every day.
- Grow as a Leader. Spend several hours per month investing in your own leadership development and career planning. Our Executive Team has mentored high-potential young professionals for many years and will work with you to achieve your personal and professional development goals.
- Solve Exciting Problems. Internships with SOF are massive opportunities to work on strategic projects that will meaningfully influence the future of our organization. We are scaling 5 core programs from 20 to 200 universities in the years ahead. This is an opportunity to build the technology stack and infrastructure that supports our growth.
As a Technology Intern, You Will
- Develop our web application that is the ‘logged in’ experience for members of Scholars of Finance.
- Build new integrations between databases using API, SaaS, AirTable, and Zapier.
- Enhance processes that allow all members of Scholars of Finance to easily view and update any important information.
- Enhance the User Experience (UX) through user interviews and feedback reviews.
- Build and design systems for program and community management to support rapid growth for the organization.
- Capture key impact data to iterate and innovate on our programs and products.
What You’ll Need
Foundational Skills and Experience
- 1-2 previous internships or 1-2 years of general work experience
- Knowledge of database architecture
- Understanding of at least 1 coding language
- Ability to research, develop, and launch new products & programs
- Strong critical thinking skills to identify opportunities, anticipate challenges and gaps, and contingency plan accordingly
- One year of college at an accredited university pursuing a degree in Computer Science or a related major
- Prior experience developing websites, web apps, or CMS systems
- Ability to effectively recommend strategies, tactics, timelines, and resources needed to achieve organizational goals
- Ability to work independently and take ownership of outcomes while prioritizing and juggling multiple projects in a deadline-driven environment
Mentality for Success
- A passion for our mission, an interest in finance as a force for good, and a commitment to developing ethical & morally sound leaders
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation
- A desire and willingness to contribute beyond your job description–to do whatever it takes to push the mission forward
- Humility to roll up your sleeves and do whatever it takes to get the job done
- Courage to jump in and fix something that is broken by challenging the status quo when logic and reason require it
- Working within, leading, and growing a small & nimble start-up team across multiple time zones
- Familiarity with AirTable and Zapier/Integromat
- Fluency with Google Sheets or Microsoft Excel advanced formulas and functions
- Ability to manipulate data in an easy to understand format
- Fluency in several programming languages
- “Growth hacking”–building something great from nothing
Benefits and Perks
- Gain Unparalleled Experience. Scholars of Finance started with one leadership symposium and now we’re on a mission to change the future of the finance sector. Our Technology Interns partner with Technologists at Morgan Stanley and SOF’s Chief Operating Officer to grow exponentially.
- Build a Movement. Scholars of Finance has early traction, like our partnership with Goldman Sachs or our programs that attract hundreds of students and finance leaders every year. You will help recruit and build a national organization from the ground up.
- Work On What Matters. Scholars of Finance wants you to take the initiative to do what you are passionate about. If you have a big idea, we want you to run with it, and we’ll help you bring it to life.
- Gain Academic Credit. If you would like to apply this internship toward academic credit, Scholars of Finance will fully support you in obtaining credit from your university.
- Program Length. We are flexible on when you start, how long the internship runs, and what hours you are expected to work. Generally, we are seeking candidates who can commit at least 3 months to an internship.
- Participation. It is required to participate for at least 15 hours per week with 5+ of these hours between 9 am and 6 pm EST M-F so that it’s possible to sync with team members.
- Pay. This is an unpaid internship. We offer an educational stipend of $200/month ($600 total), but this funding is not considered pay and is not tied to merit or performance. Aside from monetary compensation, you’ll also have world-class personal development and growth opportunities as outlined above, executive exposure with our Board of Directors and Advisors, and the ability to design elements of your own internship experience.
- Location. Our entire team works remotely, so whether you’re at home, on campus, or in Europe for the month, you can work wherever you want.